To participate in the Competition, you must read these Terms and Conditions in their entirety, and agree to them:
1. The Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO and its affiliates, agents, insurers, employees, volunteers, officials, sponsors, and partners, (“Competition Producers” or “we”) are the sponsors of the Student Video Competition (“Competition”). We may make changes to these Terms and Conditions from time to time at our discretion. We encourage you, the Participant in the Video Competition, to check back to see if there are any changes. By submitting a Video, you agree to be bound by any such modifications or revisions.
2. Rules and Eligibility: All short film immigrant story videos should be up to, but not over, 3 minutes in length. Submissions are due by September 20, 2013 and must be submitted within the parameters outlined in these terms and conditions. Participants must fall within the age categories listed below:
Students age 18 and over – including those enrolled in high school, community college, an undergraduate degree program, or a graduate program. Students who graduated in the spring of 2013 are also eligible.
Students from 14 to 17 years of age
Students under 13 years of age
From each of the three age categories we will select one 1st place winner and one 2nd place winner:
1st place winners: $ 1,000
2nd place winners: $ 500
In addition, there will be two prize winners selected from all the categories at large:
Best Overall: $2,000
Most Viewed: $1,000
3. Ownership and Permission to Use of Your Video: You will retain all of your ownership rights to the Video you submit in the Competition, including copyright ownership. By submitting the Video to the Competition, you grant the Competition Producers permission to use your Video in a variety of ways including but not limited to displaying the Video; reformatting the Video; incorporating the Video into marketing materials, advertising and other works; creating derivative works from the Video; distributing the Video; and using the Video as part of advocacy, public policy, and lobbying campaigns or political advertisements.
4. Use of Your Name, Image and Likeness: If the Video includes your name, voice, image, or likeness, you agree that the Competition Producers may reproduce your name, voice, image, and likeness in connection with the Videos. You agree that the Video may be displayed on the Internet and other public places, and that the Competition Producers have the right to use the content of your Video without compensation to you or anyone who contributed to or participated in the Video.
5. Non-Exclusive Worldwide License: By submitting your Video, you grant the Competition Administrators a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, fully paid, sub-licensable and transferable license to use, copy, edit, modify, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, perform, and otherwise fully exploit your Video in any media formats and through any media channels.
6. Copyright/Trademark: You agree that any Video you submit to the Competition will not have materials copyrighted or otherwise owned by third parties, unless you have permission from the owner to use them, or you are legally permitted to use the material according to the doctrine of fair use. For more information, see YouTube’s explanation of copyright at http://www.youtube.com/yt/copyright/what-is-copyright.html and its explanation of fair use at http://www.youtube.com/yt/copyright/fair-use.html.
7. Third-Party Sites: This site contains hypertext links to other sites. The Competition Producers not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site, and to read the privacy statements of each and every website that collects personally identifiable information. The privacy statement on our site applies solely to information collected by this website. By participating in the Competition, you expressly relieve the Competition Producers from any and all liability related to your use of any third-party websites. Nothing in these terms and conditions is intended to confer any rights on any third-parties.
8. Other Sites’ Policies: By participating in the Competition, in addition to following these Terms and Conditions, you also agree to follow the privacy policies, community guidelines, and terms of service of whatever video uploading site you choose to use. Please review their policies carefully. If you do not agree to these policies, you should not participate in this Competition.
9. You-Tube or Vimeo Account: Participation in this Competition requires you to use a YouTube or Vimeo account, or to create one if you do not have one. Please see more information about You-Tube at http://www.youtube.com/ and more information on Vimeo at https://vimeo.com/.
10. Limitation of Liability: THE COMPETITION PRODUCERS ARE NOT LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH (1) ANY ERRORS, OMISSIONS, MISTAKES, OR INACCURATE CONTENT ON THE SITE OR IN ANY VIDEO; (2) ANY PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGES RESULTING FROM YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THE COMPETITION OR ACCESS TO OUR WEBSITE; (3) UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OUR SECURE SERVERS; (4) UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO PERSONAL OR FINANCIAL INFORMATION; AND (5) ANY COMPUTER VIRUSES THAT MAY BE TRANSMITTED THROUGH OUR SERVICES OR BY ANY THIRD-PARTY. BECAUSE SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, THOSE ASPECTS OF THIS POLICY MAY OR MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
11. Assumption of Risk: You understand that your participation in the Competition may involve certain risks that could result in injury or unintended consequences. You are fully aware of and voluntarily accept and assume all risks connected with your participation in the Competition, whether or not foreseeable and whether or not caused by negligence, or intentional acts or omissions. You agree to be solely responsible for yourself while doing work related to the Competition. Although the Competition has made every reasonable effort to assure your safety while participating in the Competition, there may be unavoidable risks. You hereby release and promise not to sue the Competition Producers for any damages or injury, including death, associated with your participation in the Challenge except for such claims, damages or losses may be caused by the willful misconduct of the Competition Producers.
12. Warranty Disclaimer: THE SITE AND SITE CONTENT ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. THE COMPETITION PRODUCERS MAKE NO WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS ABOUT THE ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OF THIS SITE’S CONTENT, OR THE CONTENT OF ANY THIRD-PARTY SITES LINKED TO ON THIS SITE. YOU AGREE THAT YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THE COMPETITION SHALL BE AT YOUR SOLE RISK. COMPETITION PRODUCERS DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN CONNECTION WITH THE COMPETITION AND YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THE COMPETITION.
13. Indemnification: You agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the Competition Producers from and against any and all claims, damages, losses, liabilities, and expenses (including attorneys fees) arising from your participation in the Competition, your violation of these Terms and Conditions, your violation of any third party right, including any copyright, trademark, property or privacy right, or any claim that your Video caused damage to a third party. This defense and indemnification will survive any termination of these Terms and Conditions and will survive your termination of your participation in the Competition.
14. Termination: The Competition Producers may terminate, change, suspend, or discontinue aspects of the site at any time. The Competition Producers may terminate use or access privileges for users who repeatedly infringe intellectual property rights.
15. Validity: If any part of these Terms and Conditions are determined to be invalid or unenforceable, then the invalid or unenforceable provision will be deemed superseded by a valid, enforceable provision that most closely matches the intent of the original provision, and the remainder of the Agreement shall continue in effect.
16. Over age 18: You agree that you are age 18 or older, or an emancipated minor, or have legal parent and/or guardian consent to participate in the competition, and are fully able to agree to these Terms and Conditions. If you are under age 18, you must have consent from your parent/guardian.